Violet has been making some pretty bold moves this week.
First off, she's going to bed at a more respectable time. We try to get her asleep earlier, but she protests. She argues, "if I don't stay up to watch Carson Daily (*does he still have a show?) I will have NOTHING to talk about at the water cooler tomorrow!" Earlier would be better, and we're getting there night by night, but we can manage these sleep shifts.
Violet upped her stats like a Mage wandering the plains this week at her four month checkup. She equipped a +100 immunity gauntlet and gained 1 lb and 13 oz of experience points. Currently she is weighing in at 15 lb, 7 oz, and is 26 in.
Being four months old, Violet is ready to explore solid foods. There is some debate whether waiting four months or six months is the best approach to introducing solids. Lately, it has been popular to publish "studies" outlining the faults in waiting six months (the previous trend) and the advantages of waiting at least four (the current trend, also the one our pediatrician follows). I emphasize the quotes on "studies" because I realize it's just a pseudonym for "our best guess". We decided to give it a try now. I'm sure the choice we made is the best choice for Violet. And if we suddenly decide to abandon solid foods until six months, well that will be the best choice for Violet as well. Violet started her exploration of solid foods with the vegetable that single-handedly brought the dinosaurs to extinction, the sweet potato. She loved it, and of course we had the video camera rolling.
Next food up will be the daring butternut squash. No rice cereal for this pioneer. After she is introduced to a few vegetables and fruits (following the allotted 4 day allergy "testing" per each selection, of course) we plan on trying out some baby led weaning cues. Here's to growing kiddos and Pluto. Never forget.
* Yes, I misspelled Carson Daly and YOU noticed! Burn!
Considering that every few month, a new study will invalidate whatever came out before it, I take all with a handful of salt. We'll start Oliver on solids at 4; if he doesn't show interest, we'll wait. But, we are also not going to do cereal, I am interested in knowing why you aren't going the cereal route?
ReplyDeleteI agree, Sylvie! We started Violet out after her 4 month appt. on Monday bc the pedi recommended it. He also said that we could skip the cereals and start with veggies mostly bc cereals are "fillers." (I hope this does not offend any moms out there who start with cereals bc it is not meant to at all.)
ReplyDeleteWe are following the 4 day allergy rule (wait 4 days before introducing each new food) but so far, our schedule looks like this: Sweet potatoes, butternut squash, some fruit (haven't decided which one yet) This is so we can mix a small amount of rice cereal with fruit for breakfast time and have veggies for lunch and dinner.
We spoke to him about baby led weaning and we all decided it would be best to start off this way and combine BLW cues at 6 months. (I am worried about her choking, of course.)
I hope this makes sense!
she's hilarious. She was like "gimme that spoon!"
ReplyDeleteLea, it totally makes sense. I think of the cereals as fillers too. There's so little thye eat for now I want it to be nutritious new foods like avocados and squashes! you should share recipes if you mix any foods and tell us if she liked them :)
ReplyDelete